Checklist For Listing A Property
By Shayne Bowen
Recently, a long time client of mine suggested
that I write some checklists to help clients navigate through the steps necessary for
various parts of real estate transactions. In this light, I felt it might be helpful to
create a checklist concerning the steps necessary to bring a property to market.
Here is the checklist:
- Contact me for a competitive market analysis.
- Provide me the square footage of your property, the number of bedrooms,
the condition of the property, any recent upgraded features, and any major issues with the
- Set up an appointment for me to see the property.
- Review the competitive market analysis I've created for you.
- Have me do a 'staging session' for your property. This is the time for me
to look at your property and make recommendations for your maximal profit. My
recommendations center around "cosmetic" items that increase property values. I
have extensive expertise in this area, from staging countless homes for my clients, and
from the sale of my own personal properties.
- Read my booklet on 'staging' your home for achieving the highest possible
market price. Click here for this booklet.
- Paint the property, wherever needed, as recommended by me during the
- Install new carpeting and linoleum, as recommended by me during the
- Plant flowers, as recommended during the staging session.
- De-clutter the property, as recommended during the staging session.
- Put extra furniture and personal belongings into storage, as recommended
during the staging session.
- Lighten the property up. Choose light colors when painting, and install light
carpeting and linoleum, as recommended during the staging session.
- Buy matching towel sets for bathrooms. Avoid use of these for day to day
- Edge the lawn frequently.
- Fertilize the lawn.
- Shine the chrome on all faucets.
- Vacuum thoroughly and frequently.
- Professionally clean all the carpeting, unless I have recommended that it
- Review and authorize the listing paperwork (employment agreement,
disclosure documents, etc.).
- Have me do your first transaction briefing.
- Authorize me to put up a for sale sign.
- Make your decision on list price, and inform me.
- Approve the listing employment agreement.
- Provide a copy of the key for me. Test this key, to make sure that it
works. I will install the lock box on the property (with your approval).
- Fill out the disclosure forms that I provide, and return them to me.
- Ask me about any questions on the disclosure forms. Accuracy is quite
- Inform me of the date that you want the property placed on the Multiple
Listing System. This is the date that the showings will begin.
- Decide whether to obtain a termite inspection done.
- If you wish to obtain a termite report, ask me to order it.
- Review the property flyer that I provide. If it needs any modifications,
- Call me with the weekly number of showings that occur.
Congratulations! You have successfully brought your property to market!
|If you would like a
complimentary, personalized property value analysis, please phone Shayne Bowen at 707
577-8200! (Alternately, you may click here
to make a request for a personalized property value analysis.)
|If you are interested in making
a purchase or exchange of a property, please phone Shayne Bowen at 707 577-8200!
(Alternately, you may click here
to request information on potential properties for you.)